I left Carlsbad yesterday and drove down to San Diego, which is about 30 m
iles. What should have taken 25 minutes, because I drive fast, took an hour and a half. For the first time this week I hit a traffic accident on the I-5. After getting through the traffic, I finally made it to Thor. Jim Gallagher took me around the offices there and told me about the new gear they have coming out in Indy. He wouldn’t show me any pictures, but he seemed pretty confident in the selections he made for the Spring 2007 line. I also had a chance to meet with Kelly. She works in the marketing department and is the one who works with all the magazines with their ad placement. The one thing I like about Thor is, they have all their championship rider jerseys outlining the ceiling. It takes you back in time.After Thor, I headed down to see the Dogger. Yep! Ronnie Lechien. Ronnie’s dad, Dick, and Roland Reed started the company in the early eighties, and Maxima is
also the sponsor of the Monster/Pro Circuit Team. I always have a good time with Ronnie because he always has the best stories, from racing to his personal life. Up in his dad’s old office (he’s semi-retired now) he has all these old pictures of his son on 80s. There’s old photos, framed magazine covers, painted JT helmets laying around, and best of all, some of the Doggers trophies, everything from Motocross des Nations, SX, and some outdoor trophies. My favorite thing in the room is the picture of Ronnie from the 1988 Motoross des Nations. He has the yellow number plate with the big #1 in black and he has the coolest baby blue JT gear on. I remember DC telling me that he has never seen anyone ride a 500 as fast as Ronnie did that day.As I was headed to One Industries, I felt like I went back in a time capsule. Just looking at those pictures and the memorabilia made me realize how fast Ronnie was back in th
e day and what he accomplished in such a short time. After being in “awe,” I pulled into One Industries parking lot. I get out of the car and I’m greeted by Ludo who owns One Industries. Then as we’re walking in, Marc Blanchard was walking out. Blanchard looks at me and says, “Fubar, get in the car, I know this really good Italian restaurant up the road.” You can’t turn down Italian food. After having an amazing lunch and a good talk with Marc, we headed back to One. After we got out of the car, a truck comes flying in the parking lot. It was Danny Dobey, getting back from his golf-ball-hitting lunch. After a talk in the parking lot, we headed inside.The One Industries guys have it going on. They are always coming up with new designs for their graphics, the casualwear is cool, and their helmet is badass! After a tour around the offices, we stopped in the design department. I met with the designers and I turned around and there was Johnny O’Mara’s Team USA helmet. Marc comes over with a big smile and tells me they bought that at the David Bailey benefit. Johnny O had donated his helmet to help raise money for his friend David Bailey. Nice job, Johnny!

I was off to my last stop, Ready Racing’s Tony Sanfilippo. I had never met him in person before but have talked to him many times through e-mail. He also played in the band Lucy’s Fur Coat. Tony came up with the idea of making a filter that is already pre-oiled and cost-effective. He achieved his goal, and I think it’s the best thing since peanut butter and jelly. The only thing that I hate about riding is changing that damn filter. Tony, I can’t thank you enough.
Well, I’m off to the San Diego airport to pick up my fiancĂ©e, Jules, Weege, and Weegette.